United States of America passport holders need a valid Tourist Visa to travel to Sri Lanka for a sightseeing visit. You can obtain your 30-day tourist visa by:
- Applying at the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) website http://eta.gov.lk
- Applying at a Sri Lanka embassy
- Applying at Bandaranaike International Airport with a possible long wait and higher fee
You should have:
- A passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of your stay in Sri Lanka
- Your passport must have blank pages for entry stamps
- A confirmed round-trip or onward airline ticket
- A passport style photograph
- The cost of a 30-day visa applied prior to your arrival is about $35. The cost is $40 on arrival at the port of entry as of time of publication. You may pay with a credit card. (reference: http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainfo/fees.jsp)
When should you apply?
It is always better to give some extra time for a visa application. We recommend one week in advance when using the ETA website.
Full details are at the Sri Lanka government website under Visa Services